Negotiation Skills For Collectors
Good collectors are great negotiators!
Here you'll find step-by-step help from the best to help you hone your negotiation skills.
- Gain confidence
- Learn how to prepare for anything
- Effective telephone collection techniques for negotiators
... Ultimately, developing your negotiation skills is a simply a matter of learning how and practicing. And it's critical to your success in collection.
Training Collectors to Take a Customer-Service Approach|
"When I first started out in collections, we were taught to have a "tough guy" attitude," recalls one veteran collector. "The delinquent customer was a deadbeat, and whether the person was one month or six months late, we came down hard. It wasn't uncommon to say 'I need you to pay your past-due amount today or I'll start legal proceedings and mean it!" But today, it's different.
. . .
- Important factors (beyond the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) why collectors today must have a different attitude when collecting than in years past. In this article you'll learn:
- Several good reasons to treat your overdue accounts with a light touch
- Specific training ideas to help collection staff make the transition from "old school" to a less confrontational approach
Developing a Negotiating "Attitude"|
A study at Vanderbilt University's Graduate School of Management revealed that agreeable and cooperative people fare poorly in negotiations. The study also demonstrated that the relative intelligence . . .
Nine Building Blocks to a Successful Negotiation|
1. Leverage Both sides must want something or else there is no point to be negotiated. Usually one side needs the bargain more than the other. The difference in this wants/needs equation is leverage. You may not have leverage, but you don't need to be at a disadvantage. The key is in your preparation. . . .
What Services Should You Demand of an Outside Collection Agency?|
There are a lot of collection agencies out there that would be happy to get your business. You might be using one or more of them now. But are they giving you the services that you deserve? Here is a list of services that top-flight agencies offer (and that you should be getting) as well as a few tips on what to watch out for. . . .
| Here's what our members are saying ...
"What a great resource! This is the perfect place to refer our customers who have collection problems so they can improve their collections.
I figure if we can help them collect faster, they can pay us faster and order more product."
William C. Edgar, CCE
Director of Credit
"I can't believe I didn't find out about your site sooner."
"It was exactly what I was looking for."
Hot Springs, AR
"The first item I found in your download library made my subscription worthwhile. I'm definitely renewing!"
"Your site saved the day for me. The video tutorial helped me quickly and solve a problem I've been struggling with for a year.
"I can't say enough about how valuable your site has been to our business. The articles and especially the free downloads really are great."