Competing Liens: the Basics
The resource you have requested is available only to current members.
One customer of Denton Auto, a large supplier of auto parts, is Fitch Motors, Inc., a full service auto dealership in the business of selling new and used cars, as well as providing warranty, other service, and body work. Fitch has established a credit agreement with Denton, and as part of that arrangement Fitch has agreed to grant Denton a security interest in any and all inventory sold on credit until that auto parts inventory is paid in full. Fitch has experienced some cash flow problems and is now "slow pay." Invoices are 120 days out and a few are even longer, but Fitch has continued to send a steady stream of payments. Lisa Stein, Denton's credit manager, is concerned but not terribly so because she knows legal action can be taken, if necessary, to repossess the bulk of the auto parts Fitch stocks. However, in a telephone conversation with Fitch's accounts payable staff, Stein hears something that does give her pause. Apparently Fitch has also given a lien on its entire inventory of automobiles and auto parts, as well as in its equipment and receivables, to a local bank. Can Fitch do that? . . . (to read the remainder of this article, please log in below.)
If you are a current member, log in using the form below.
If you are not a member, we invite you to view the subscriber benefits at Membership Benefits
If you are a current member and have forgotten your password, enter your email address below, and your password will be emailed to you.
If your membership has expired and you wish to renew, visit the Membership Benefits Page.
Membership has its advantages
to CollectionForum.com gets you instant access
- Collection Letters in our easy-to-use download section that you can start to use today to begin tackling all your thorny collection issues
- Expert advice from from the leading experts on all aspects of collections
- Downloadable checklists to help you manage your collections
- Downloadable letters that are ready to go right away or easily modified to fit your situation
- Access to our excluse, members-only Collection Forum, where you can reach out to peers and experts to find solutions to your toughest collection and A/R issues.
- And much more!
Subscribe today and get all this and more. Just $99 and $12.95 per month thereafter.
Join now using our secure
online order form.